“Stories are how we think. They are how we make meaning of life. Call them schemas, scripts, cognitive maps, mental models, metaphors, or narratives. Stories are how we explain how things work, how we make decisions, how we justify our decisions, how we persuade others, how we understand our place in the world, create our identities, and define and teach social values.” ~Dr. Pamela Rutledge, Director, Media Psychology Research Center
“In today’s culture, the noise of information can be deafening, and competing for students’ attention can be a matter of broadcasting on the frequencies to which they are listening. The digital story, which dials into digital natives and connects them with the curriculum, represents one of our most powerful instructional tools today.” ~Oliver Dreon, Richard M. Kerper, & Jon Landis, Middle School Journal, May 2011.
Link for Digital Storytelling Tools: http://mossfreestone.com/category/digital-storytelling/
"What is Digital Storytelling? by Jerome Gratigny
"Digital Storytelling is a great tool for students, teachers and anyone who wants to tell their story. This short video gives insight into what a Digital Story is, check it out..."
"Let the Creative Beast Out" by Betsy Streeter and Rick DiBiasio.
An iMovie Tutorial: A HowTo video introducing iMovie Basics by Charles Heureaux.
The Seven Elements of Digital Storytelling by kvnblndng.
Ready Reference Sources
- Comprehensive Links to Public Domain Websites
- The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling
- This I Believe on NPR...example narratives
- Research Studies on The Value of Storytelling in Learning
- Alignment to Standards
- Library of Congress
- The Son of Citation Maker
- Google Scholar
- Internet Public Library for Teens
- Reference Desk
- World CIA Fact Book
- Encyclopedias Online
- News and Magazines on the Net
- Biographies - Virtual Middle School Library
- The British Museum
- Macaulay Library - Wildlife Library of Sounds!
WEB 2.0 VIDEO RESOURCES
RESOURCES FOR IMAGES
- Wikimedia Commons Public Domain Images
- Copyright Free Images
- Microsoft Copyright Free Images
- Create Graphs and Charts
- Best Sites to Find Public Domain Images and Sounds for Student Projects
- Internet Archive
- Creative Commons Search
Digital Storytelling Resources
- Just for Kids - Storytelling PowerPoint Lessons
- Rubric for Digital Storytelling
- The Best Free Digital Storytelling Tools for Teachers
- Apps for Digital Storytelling
- Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
- Graphic Organizers
- Digital Tools
- 50 Tools to Tell a Story!
- Lesson Outline for teaching Digital Storytelling
- Interactive Persuasion Map - Great for brainstorming!
- Story Gallery; Listen to video stories told by children in Africa
- Digital Vaults - The National Archives Experience
- Kerpoof Storybook